NOT EVERYTHING IS SAFE TO BURN IN YOUR FIREPLACE OR WOOD STOVE
Please remember not everything is safe to burn in your fireplace or wood stove. Sometimes items that you think would be safe to burn are not. Some items can cause serious health issues or safety issues if burned. For example, burning glossy paper such as wrapping paper or newspaper ads could possibly put toxins or carcinogens in the air that you breathe. Some items burn faster than others creating a high, intensely hot flame that could catch any built-up creosote in a chimney on fire. Below is a list of a few items you should never put in your fireplace or wood stove.
~Paper, Bows, Glossy Paper, Cardboard & Packaging
~Plastics, Pine Needles, Live Garland, Live Wreaths or Flowers
~Styrofoam Containers, Egg Cartons, Dryer Lint
~Painted, Varnished, Stained or Treated Wood
~Engineered Wood (Plywood, Particle Board, Pressed Board, OSB) Glue compounds are used in the layering of these woods.
~Green Wood – Wood that is not dry will produce a lot of smoke and creosote.
~Driftwood – Driftwood contains salt which is corrosive. When heated, corrosion is accelerated and toxic fumes are produced.
These are just some of the items you should never burn. Please follow all safety directions on your wood burning appliance.
Always have a fire extinguisher and a carbon monoxide detector nearby and change the batteries on a schedule.